Monday, October 15, 2007

Africa is da b0^^b

So how's it been living it up in North Africa for a month? I've been enjoying myself. As best as I can see, I'm having a good time here because I am surrounded by good people, the work I do is within my skill set, and God takes after his children.

Family of Five
I work with a great team, on all levels. The first level is the five Canadian STINTers who, like me, are here for one-year. We have a lot of fun. We actually desire to be around each other most of the time. That's cool, because you think we'd get tired of each other. There's been some conflict resolutions, but that is a sign of strength. I've been able to recharge off of them by hanging out during a meal or watching a movie or taking a three hour train ride. Sure, they've made me dance and have taken paparazzi style photos, but those have been character deepening experiences that I'm thankful for.

Working within my bounds
I'm not Mr. Social. Apparently I've been seen as a little introverted sometimes. A large part of my work here though is building relationships. That's tough, and it's been stretching, but it's not like I'm a misanthrope (thank you Angela). I enjoy my time with people, and I know I need to limit the amount of people I meet, otherwise, I'll become the depressed sort of person no one wants to meet. I am doing my best to take of myself, by biking, reading, and watching a movie a week :)

God is Good
all the time. This past month I've had the privilege of feeling closer to God. My times in prayer and bible reading and having fellowship with Christians have been a real joy to me. That's not something that I could have said as easily in Canada during my last year. I've also been experiencing more of God's power at work in helping me do what I don't think I was otherwise all that capable of. Sometimes I've felt like I really didn't have the energy to meet a dude, but then he shows up on a scooter, and takes me flying through town, an experience that will get any lazy heart going. Or seeing how God brings people into your life that are well suited to your personality, and you know that he is working out something special between you and them.

P.S.
I also have to say that I have great friends and family at home who are so supportive. I have received encouraging emails. I'm pleased that my friends still love me, and guys I've mentored are taking steps forward in their walk with God. That make me joyful, and gives me faith that perhaps this work too will not be in vain.

3 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Jess Versteeg said...

fyi, i come around here sometimes to check up on you STINTERs. Hope that's not très creepy.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Sid S. said...

i'm glad dat u like ur team :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home