Sunday, July 16, 2006

Stabbed in the heart with a Sloppy-Joe

I'm learning a lot these days. A mixture of good reading, down-time, and some testing experiences are serving me well. I'm learning a lot about myself. Don Miller, in Blue Like Jazz, mentions this chef that told him he was able to clean-up after messy, ungrateful people everyday because of JC. He said something like, "Don, every morning I die to myself."
I got angry at him because he was so convicting. I like to think that in the future, I'll be pretty hardcore with the Great Commission, diffinitely not serving and cleaning at a Christian retreat centre. I'm just too committed to Jesus for that.
You get the picture. So I'm going to try and judge people less, and focus on the Great Commandment before trying to fake it out in the Great Commission.

It'd be cool to meet this chef, or one like him, and just make a beautiful mess. Maybe I'd drop a Sloppy-Joe. Then watch him as he comes out in with his messy apron, gets the mop, and goes to work, all the while humming some hymn and looking pleasant.

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Terra said...

Yah, Miller is convicting cause he just cuts through it all with simple and honest language. love it. love it. Every chapter is awesome. Personal fav is the one on tithing... I just laugh and laugh and laugh. Reading it out loud is even better.

Searching for God Know What is awesome!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Sid S. said...

i agree wid terra...

and i used dat quote in a website wen i was in charge of one... it was a pretty tian quote!

I HEART DONALD MILLER!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home