Tuesday, October 24, 2006

almost made it through

I remember in high school I could be a pretty disruptive student. Grade 10 in particular was a bad year. I remeber laughing hysterically through this one guy's presentation (I won't say why, it's pretty bad). Anyhow, I was going strongthree years into university until about 45 minutes ago. Dave and I were attentively listening to an intricate explication Marx's response to Hegel. All of the sudden, he just leaned over and made this weirdo gurgling noise. I was like "what the heck was that," and we both burst out into laughter. It was terrible. Dave unleased the contents of his nose on his computer, and I was in uncontrolled laughter. I tried to cover for us by saying "David made a wierd noise," but it came out garbled. Our prof just smiled politely, put her hand through her hair, and continued the long march. I think the worst part of it all was that Dave would lean over every now and then just to get me laughing again.

Now I'm gonna try and participate in class to redeem myself.

11 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

That's ok. Last week I burst into uncontrollable laughter at a stupid comment made in class--I was laughing so hard I was crying. I almost had to leave the room to gain control of myself. And here's the bad part: I'm the teacher!!

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Sid S. said...

datz hilarious!

in junior high my nickname was giggles.

 
At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you think that's bad?! i almost burst out laughing in a prayer meeting once!!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

ok, ok...so it was my grade 7 math class. And there is this one kid, we'll call him T, who never does any work and who has detention every single day becuase he doesn't have his work done. So he was talking in class and I threatened detention, not thinking, and this other kid, C, said "he probably already has detention" and T replied in this attitude that he totally didn't care "yeah, I always have detention--I think I have detention for the whole next week" And I just started laughing because its so true. He's actually two or three weeks behind on detentions for me becuase he skips them and he's equally behind for all of his other teachers too. And he doesn't care. It was just so hilarious that he knew it and that there was nothing that could be done.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

And Ryan: our c4c prayer meetings...ppl often burst out in laughter part way through, or randomly start throwing dodgeballs (I wasn't there for that one, but I heard about it from a few sources)

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger amac said...

Amanda, u should try sprinkling salt around the room before you start ur prayer meetings

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

What does the salt do?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Ryan Lawrence said...

yeah, the salt really works. lol

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Sid S. said...

i think i have burst out laughing while praying... or maybe while attempting 2 pray...

i'm bad but not dat bad... i think....

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Jonathan P said...

Doesn't work in a pluralistic society.

Pascal's wager postulates only two choices, believe in God (implicit within that is the Christian God) and lose nothing if he does not exist, or don't believe in God, and lose everything if he does.

However, because we have to deal with multiplicities of faith (Jews, Muslims, etc), Pascal's wager fails to account for those other things.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger amac said...

mmm. salt.

i actually really dislike Pascal's Wager. I can't see faith as somethign that you can just decide from an abstract equation. The Wager is purely intellectual, and i doubt it'd manifest a felt dependece on God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home