Tuesday, November 07, 2006

from Ravi to Elijah

Yesterday I got to class early, and it was just me and this other dude mike. He's one of the more respected people in the philosophy department, he knows his stuff. he's also just a good guy. most ppl in philosophy are good 'guys' (not too many women, but those that are there are usually good too. i think because we do more introspection). we casually talked about what we were going to do with our philosophy degrees and I was gonna give a cop out answer I've given before, "I hope to apply to law school or do post-grad and teach." But a still small voice screamed in my head, "BE NATURAL." It's something i've picked up on from my boy John Hood at York, who is very real with his convictions about God to everybody.

So I straight told the guy, "I was planning on law school, but half way through I went through a change and now I want to do short term missionary work before anything else." there, i said it. mike causually said he met some missionaries before and they were cool ppl. we made more small talk, convo dulled, and then he asked if how i can be in philosophy when everything is against me. I told him it was hard at first but now i find it strengthening (sometimes). Oh, and by now the room is starting to fill. Then mike did what I wasn't willing to, and asked "so am i going to hell cause i don't believe in the bible." i fumbled around, told him it was a good question to ask, and answered. amazing thing was the pastor had given the answer the night before. wicked cool. i explained we expect a just system on earth, so we should expect a just one in heaven. perhaps from our perspective we think we're good enough for heaven, but from God's, if He's just He has no obligation to us. Surprisingly mike didn't pursue it, but he grilled me on some other standard tough questions.

Anyhow, i learned a lot from that convo. 1st that God prepared me, not my prev studies. 2nd it's imprt to be natural about who i am. 3rd Give people the truth, don't dance around hell or anything else (i think i danced too much). 4th even though God prepped me the night before, it was still imprt that i had tried to keep fresh by checking out Ravi and other apolgetic material now and then.

and here's the 5 th thing i learned, but you need a context, so please read on. Tmrw (Wed) i'm doing a small outreach on my floor, inviting friends to my room for pizza and spiritual talk. should be cool. I was STRESSING about asking ppl. I am not bold. But by the power of God, and some solid teaching by Dan Mac, I found peace in God and invited people. I was so happy when God relieved me of some of the stress and gave me opportunities to ask some people. Then I go to philosophy class, and get grilled, and do an ok job, but i left that class back where i was. I didn't get it. all these good things are happening, why am i sinking into depression. So i took a nap, and then did some devo's. but instead of studying the bible i meditated (thought hard) about my situation, the gospel, and Elijah (1 Kings 19). The nap helped me think with clarity, as I'm sure it helped Elijah, and meditating on the gospel gave my heart peace, and prepared me for my situation. So 5th thing I learned, time out of heavy ministry to rest and go back to the grace on which you rely.

the event is tomorrow at 10 30pm, and i would still like to invite some more great people, so if you can remember me in your prayers, much appreciated.

any other c4c ppl got MDA stuff on the go?

7 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Terra said...

Thanks for the honest post Couz. I can totally relate... I guess it just continues to be clear that in ourselves we are weak weak weak... it really is all about God's grace.
I was actually just reading some stuff from Piper on overcoming anxiety and fear with two things - 1. the Word and 2. the Spirit
When you are starting to feel 'not bold' but constrained to speak the truth in love and be natural check out Isaiah 41:9 - 10:
9 I took you from the ends of the earth,
from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, 'You are my servant';
I have chosen you and have not rejected you.

10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Pretty much that says it all. God is so good.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger amac said...

you rock Terra, thanks

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

True testimony for the need to be real B4 Christ, allowing God to use us in reaching others.
Tonight at APC was really convicting and humbling, getting back to His grace as we spent some time in James.
Truly we are so weak but praise God for His strength, His Grace, His perfect and pleasing will.

So ya, we've got some plans on the go for Stong but really need to be covered in prayer for our possible pizza/movie night next Thurs. in Rez. Plus there is interest in an ultimate Frisbee tournament, ball hockey and college workshops so discernment in His will on how we can best be serving this college is needed.
Praise be to God and may we glorify Him ALWAYS.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Chris Hillcoat said...

Great stuff. There's another guy from Southampton coming your way in January - his name is Duncan and he's living in Tatham. Be on the lookout...

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger amac said...

beautiful Chris, another ol chap from the motherland

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Sid S. said...

so how did it go?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger amac said...

hey all, the wednesay night forum went amazingly well, we're meeting again this wed to follow-up on discussion. wicked-cool eh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home